Support the Heroes Running the Leadville Trail Marathon in Their Effort to Help America's Heroes…
Earth Month 2021
Sustainability Efforts at the Leadville Race Series
Leadville Race Series is dedicated to our continued efforts to minimize our impact on the amazing public lands we utilize for our events. For over a decade now the LRS has been the foremost leader in events to divert as much waste as possible from landfills. In 2021 and beyond the LRS run events will be going cupless and providing each athlete with a reusable silicone cup for liquid nutrition and hydration throughout the race. The LRS has utilized compostable cups, utensils, and plates for many years and will continue to work to use as much biodegradable items as possible in the future.
CURRENT SUSTAINABILITY INITIATIVES
- TerrraCycle partnership for all nutrition wrappers.
- Biodegradable materials – cups, plates, utensils
- Filtered water in coolers; no water bottles
- Use of local third party waste management group, Cloud City Conservation Center, to help divert as much waste from landfill as possible. C4 also educates athletes and spectators on what is recyclable, compostable, and landfill.
- All Athlete Guides have a dedicated section on the “Leave No Trace” policy.
FUTURE SUSTAINABILITY GOALS
- Cupless at run events!
- TerraCycle program to be able to recycle more of our materials.
- Shoe and clothing donation area.
How You Can Help
- Be as self sufficient as possible – utilize drop bags, reusable cups, follow “leave no trace” principles.
- Hey spectators/crews: Pack it in, pack it out!
- Try and limit crew vehicles and people