Take on the toughest, grittiest, gnarliest endurance challenge we could throw together: 5 trail running and MTB events, covering 282.4 miles, all at 10,000+ feet of Rocky Mountain elevation. To conquer the Lead Challenge, you’ll need some lead in your veins.
This event isn’t for the faint of heart. It isn’t even for the “average of heart” or “semi-courageous of heart.” This event is only for the toughest of the tough, those endurance athletes who can look at the epic endeavor ahead — completing all 5 of Leadville’s’ most demanding events — and smile. Here’s the list of (literal) mountains you’ll climb:
- Leadville Trail Marathon presented by La Sportiva – June 17th, 2023
- Stages Cycling Silver Rush 50 MTB or Silver Rush 50 Run presented by La Sportiva – July 8th-9th, 2023
- Stages Cycling Leadville Trail 100 MTB – August 12th,2023
- Leadville 10K Run presented by La Sportiva – August 13th, 2023
- Leadville Trail 100 Run presented by La Sportiva – August 19th, 2023
Only a brave few start. Only the toughest finish. Do you have what it takes to accept the challenge?
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN – FEWER THAN 20 SPOTS REMAIN
Registration opens on 12/1 every year and will be available on a first-come, first-served basis until sold out.
In order to register, athletes must be 18 years of age by 8/12/23.
COST FOR 2023 ENTRY: $1350
*Cost to add Silver King & Queen (participating in both the Run and MTB) is an additional $135 and will be available during the registration process.
NEW! We have updated our deferral policies for the 2023 Lead Challenge.
90 + Day Out From Event:
- Defer into the following year, pay a $150 fee.
89 Days or Less From Event:
- Defer into the following year, pay a $200 fee.
A race entry can only be deferred one time and only to the following year’s event.
Deferrals close at Midnight on 6/15/23.
- Deferred registrations must re-register during the early registration window, 11/1 – 11/15, 2023. If the event fills when general public registration opens, prior to a deferred athlete registering, the athlete forfeits their deferred slot.
- Deferrals are only eligible for the following year.
- Want to defer your entry? Please email our athlete services manager with your name and the event from which you are deferring.
- Please see our deferral policies page for complete information on deferrals.
Lead Challenge finishers that complete the entire series will be recognized and called on stage during the awards ceremony at the Leadville Trail 100 Run.
Each athlete will receive the coveted Lead Challenge pick-axe recognizing their accomplishment. Awards shipping options will be available following the conclusion of the event if an athlete is unable to attend the awards ceremony.
Note: Individual podiums will not be held at each event for the Lead Challenge, but Lead Challenge athletes are eligible for overall and age group awards at the all events. Overall standings for Lead Challenge will be updated after each event.
RESULTS & STANDINGS
- Lead Challenge athletes are subject to the respective rules of each individual event.
- Silver Rush Run times are recalculated to account for running pace vs mountain bike pace. The formula is the run time x 0.57. If an athlete does the run and the mountain bike, the faster of the two times will be used for Lead Challenge scoring.
- NOTE: Lead Challenge athletes will be allowed to use their Silver Rush Run time (calculated as stated above) to adjust corrals. Please reach out to Athlete Services via email after the event to have your corral adjusted.
- Racers must complete each event within the allotted cut off time in order to move on and be eligible for the next. If a racer does not meet the required finish time, he or she will not be allowed to continue in the Lead Challenge competition. However, the racer may continue racing as an individual (without a Lead Challenge bib) by notifying Athlete Services via email. Each event must be attempted, failing to start any of the events will disqualify the athlete from all remaining events in the series. The Leadville Race Series does not allow refunds, transfers or deferment in the midst of the Lead Challenge competition.