Support the Heroes Running the Leadville Trail Marathon in Their Effort to Help America's Heroes…
By Angela Liddon
Packed with energizing healthy fats, these crackers make great on-the-go snacks.
The healthy fats in the chia, sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin seeds in these crackers will keep you satisfied and energized for hours after you eat. The crackers are also extremely light and crispy, which makes them easy to transport and nibble on any time of day.
MAKES 25 TO 30 CRACKERS
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 60 TO 70 MINUTES
- ½ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup raw hulled sunflower seeds
- ½ cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- ½ cup raw white sesame seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1 large clove garlic, finely grated
- ¼ tsp. Herbamare or fine sea salt, or more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the chia seeds, sunflower seeds, pepitas, and sesame seeds.
- Add the water, garlic, and Herbamare or salt. Stir with a spatula until combined. Allow the mixture to rest for a couple of minutes until the chia seeds absorb the water. Stir the mixture; after it has rested, you shouldn’t see any water in the bottom of the bowl.
- With the spatula (and a hand, if necessary), spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet in two small rectangles, each about 12 x 7 inches and 1/8 to ¼ inch thick. Sprinkle additional Herbamare or salt on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully flip each rectangle with a spatula. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes more, until lightly golden around the edges. Watch closely near the end to make sure they don’t burn.
- Allow to cool on the pan for 10 to 15 minutes; then break the rectangles into crackers and let cool completely on the pan. Store in an airtight container or jar on the counter for up to two weeks. If the crackers soften during storage (this can happen in humid environments), toast them in the oven at 300 degrees F for five to seven minutes, then let them cool completely.
This article originally appeared in the April 2017 issues of Experience Life magazine.