Open to all runners, this camp offers an introduction to the Leadville Trail 100 Run presented by La Sportiva and is the perfect training tool for this year’s race. Seasoned veterans provide a great education as you cover the LT100 Run course over a three-day period June 21 – June 24th, 2019.
Whether you’re a “Race Across the Sky” first-timer or an old hand, we encourage you to join us in Leadville for an informative look at the country’s most scenic and challenging ultra-run course. Group training runs — both day and night — will familiarize you with key sections of the course, and discussion sessions with race veterans will help you get the most out of your race experience. Come spend some quality time with us and get to know your fellow racers. Our training camp is an experience you will carry with you forever. We like to think of it as a long weekend of good food, good running and good friends. Please note that the schedule may have to be adjusted due to the snowpack, but we’ll try to keep you informed as the run date approaches.
All or part of this operation is conducted on Public Lands under special permit from the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.
This event is held on the San Isabel National Forest under a special use permit.
June 21-24, 2019
Day 1 | June 21
• 12:00 – 6:00 p.m. Packet pickup at 316 Harrison Ave.
Day 2 | June 22
• 6:30 a.m. Pre-run breakfast provided by LRS. Late packet pickup at 316 Harrison Ave.
• 7:20 a.m. Meet the guides
•7:45 a.m. Buses begin loading
• 8:00 a.m. Buses depart
• 8:30 a.m. Run planned for the day is May Queen Campground to Twin Lakes Fire House (26 miles). Transport provided by LRS from breakfast to May Queen. LRS will set up two well-equipped aid stations on course at Outward Bound and Half Pipe for support during the run.
• 2:30 – 4:00 p.m. Transportation running from the Fire House back to Leadville, 316 Harrison Ave.
• 6:00 p.m. Post-run dinner provided by LRS at Freight (302 E. 9th St.)
• 7:00 p.m. An experienced panel comprised of the LT100’s past and present Elite ultra-runners, crew members and race management will discuss what it takes to finish the Leadville Trail 100 at Freight (302 E. 9th St.)
Day 3 | June 23
• 6:30 a.m. Meet for pre-run breakfast provided by LRS at 316 Harrison Ave
• 7:45 a.m. Buses begin loading
• 8:00 a.m. Buses depart
• 8:30 a.m. Run begins at Twin Lakes- Willis Gulch, over Hope Pass to Winfield and return (approximately 23 miles).
• 12:00 p.m. Cookout at Twin Lakes.
• 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Transportation departs back to Leadville, 316 Harrison Ave.
Day 4 | June 24
• 2:00 p.m. Q&A with past finishers at Freight (302 E. 9th St.)
• 3:00 p.m. Crew and runner/pacer meeting at Freight (302 E. 9th St.)
• 8:00 p.m. Load transportation to May Queen at 316 Harrison Ave.
• 8:45 p.m. Run begins at May Queen, ending at LRS Headquarters, 316 Harrison Ave. (15 miles)
• 10:30 p.m. Burritos, hot chocolate and more at LRS Headquarters, 316 Harrison Ave.
|Camp + Entry||$1,000|
Each day make sure you have:
- Running shoes of preference
- Multiple pairs of socks
- Running shorts
- Short sleeve shirt
- Long sleeve shirt
- Fleece mid-layer
- Rain shell
- Hat for the sun
- Water bottles or running pack of your preference
- Your planned nutrition so you can test it (you can also use our nutrition)
- And of course, anything else you think you will need!
Leadville is located approximately 100 mountainous miles west of Denver. Plan to arrive early to account for the two-hour travel time from Denver International Airport. For your return flight, keep in mind that Sunday afternoons traveling back to Denver are often characterized by heavy traffic and can take significantly longer than two hours.
You are responsible for your transportation to, from and in Leadville. We suggest the following options:
• Rental car (depending on bike transport, opt for a two- to four- passenger vehicle)
• Colorado Mountain Express charter service. CME charters vans and will take a group all the way to Leadville. They can accommodate 10 people per van without bikes, or five to seven with bikes for a charter price of $390/van (each way). They can arrange different pick-up times with enough advance notice.
If you have registered for the 2019 camp but are unable to participate, you may defer your registration to next year’s event for a fee. Please note that deferrals must be requested at least ONE WEEK PRIOR TO THE FIRST DAY OF CAMP.
To sign up for a deferral, log into your Chronotrack account and follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Once you are logged in, click on “Change Race” in the upper right corner.
- Step 2: Click on “Defer my registration for another event.”
- Step 3: Click “Continue”
- Step 4: You will see the fee to change – click on “Proceed to Checkout”
- Step 5: Enter in your payment information.
Please note: You will receive an email with your deferral code for the 2020 event. Please keep this in a safe place to register with when we open our 2020 event registration! If you have any questions about the deferral process, please contact Athlete Services.