By Trish Coffman
There’s no hard-and-fast rule that says seafood destined for tacos has to be shrouded in mayo or breaded and fried.
The shrimp in these tacos get sauced instead with a little yogurt and a kick of your favorite salsa before it’s tucked into whole-grain tortillas. Bonus: Shrimp cooks in a flash, so you’ll get your hit of post-ride lean protein in no time.
You will need:
- 1 lb small or medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp canola or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/3 C plain yogurt
- Jar of your favorite salsa (a non-chunky variety works best)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 C shredded green cabbage
- 1/4 C chopped cilantro
- 8 small corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced very thin
First, cook the shrimp. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high, then add the shrimp and garlic, along with a nice pinch of kosher salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Let shrimp cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until they are pink and curled. Remove skillet from the heat and transfer shrimp to a plate. When they’ve slightly cooled, pinch the tails off the shrimp.
In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt with 1/2 C salsa, the lime juice, cabbage and cilantro. Add kosher salt and pepper to taste, then stir the cooked shrimp into the yogurt-salsa mixture, adding more yogurt if you need it (don’t add too much, or you’ll end up with an extra drippy taco). Divide shrimp among tortillas and top with avocado and red onion. Serve with the extra salsa.