The 2017 Blueprint for Athletes Camp of Champions will be led by the best of the best: six-time Blueprint for Athletes Leadville Trail 100 MTB champion Dave Wiens, 22-time finisher Todd Murray, 13-time finisher Roxanne Hall and many more. Camp participants will ride, dine and socialize with Leadville’s finest and a host of experienced buckle-sporting guides.
As a camp participant, you will ride every mile of the course, and your preview comes with special attention to the most grueling sections: Powerline, St. Kevins and the incredible Columbine climb. A question-and-answer session will offer insight into proper training, diet, bike setup and crewing logistics, preparing you for the best possible race-day performance. This camp will dramatically increase your chances of meeting your LT100 MTB goals and completing your 2017 Race Across the Sky.
Due to permitting, camp participation is limited to 75 per camp with a first-come, first-served registration. Don’t miss this incredible opportunity to ride with Leadville legends.
All or part of this operation is conducted on Public Lands under special permit from the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.
The Leadville Race Series is proud to offer all athletes attending our Camp of Champions an incredible list of products when they arrive in Leadville. Every camper will be greeted with a pile of cycling gear to help them fulfill their goal of completing the Leadville Trail 100 MTB in August. Campers will even receive a Camp of Champions bike kit! Please know all registrations after April 18 will not be guaranteed first choice sizing. Images below represent the 2016 swag. 2017 swag will be posted when available. Other swag includes:
Day 1 (Camp 1) and Day 1 (Camp 2) – Arrival in Leadville (optional pre-ride departs at 6:00 p.m.)
• 12:00 – 6:30 p.m. Registration and packet pickup at Leadville Race Series Headquarters at 316 Harrison Avenue. Course will be marked for pre-riding.
• 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Introduction of the guides and participants meeting at the historic Tabor Opera House, 308 Harrison Avenue. This is a requirement of all guided trips. Also, join us for the Specialized "Test the Best" product demo. Then we'll get motivated by watching the award-winning Race Across the Sky movie featuring six-time LT100 Champion, Dave Wiens.
Day 2 (Camp 1) and Day 2 (Camp 2) – Ride Day One
• 6:30 a.m. Breakfast provided by LRS at 316 Harrison Avenue
• 7:30 a.m. Group meets at LRS Headquarters at 316 Harrison Avenue ready to ride
• 8:00 a.m. Lead-out from LRS Headquarters at 316 Harrison Avenue by Leadville Police Dept. Ride 6th Street to course. Continue with stops, regrouping at Pipeline Aid Station. Return to course. Finish around 2:30 p.m. SAG vehicle will aid riders if needed. SAG will pick up at Pipeline and Hagerman Pass if necessary.
• 12:00 p.m. Lunch as riders return provided by LRS at 316 Harrison Avenue
• 3:00 p.m. Optional descending practice at Oro City until 5:00 p.m. Meet at 316 Harrison Avenue.
• 7:00 p.m. Dinner at the Tennessee Pass Cookhouse (campers find own transportation). Enjoy breathtaking views of the Continental Divide and Holy Cross Wilderness. Guides will be available to answer questions and offer training advice.
Day 3 (Camp 1) and Day 3 (Camp 2) – Ride Day Two
• 6:30 a.m. Breakfast provided by LRS at 316 Harrison Avenue
• 7:30 a.m. Group meets at LRS Headquarters at 316 Harrison Avenue ready to ride.
• 8:00 a.m. Lead-out from LRS Headquarters at 316 Harrison Avenue by Leadville Police Dept. Ride 6th Street to County Road 9, continue by golf course and out to Pipeline. Continue on course to top of Columbine and then return the same way. SAG will aid riders who have seen enough of the course and will pick up at Columbine base aid station and at Pipeline.
• 12:00 p.m. Lunch as riders return provided by LRS at 115 W 4th St - High Mountain Pies
• 3:00 p.m. Specialized BG bike fit by Absolute Bikes at 115 W 4th St - High Mountain Pies
• 5:00 p.m. Mechanic/gear seminar from Cycles of Life at 316 Harrison Avenue
• 7:00 p.m. Dinner (location TBD)
Day 4 (Camp 1) and Day 4 (Camp 2) – Departure from Leadville (post rides available)
• Bike – fully-tuned and ready to ride
• Cycling glasses
• Cycling shoes (we suggest you bring your pedals in your bag rather than shipped with bike, just in case)
• Shoe covers (just in case)
• Cycling rain jacket
• Wind vest
• Arm warmers
• Knee and/or leg warmers
• Base layer for each day of riding
• Jersey for each day of riding
• Long sleeve warmer jersey for potential colder riding
• Shorts for each day of riding
• Socks for each day of riding
• Gloves, we suggest long finger (mid weight and light weight gloves)
• Chamois cream
• Baby wipes for on-course emergencies
• Your planned nutrition so you can test it, you can also use our nutrition
• HR monitor/power device/GPS, if you’d like
Leadville is located approximately 100 mountainous miles west of Denver. Plan to arrive early to account for the two-hour travel time from Denver International Airport. For your return flight, keep in mind that Sunday afternoons traveling back to Denver are often characterized by heavy traffic and can take significantly longer than two hours.
You are responsible for your transportation to, from and in Leadville. We suggest the following options and will do our best to provide guidance in pairing you with other campers wishing to share transportation costs:
• Rental car (depending on bike transport, opt for a two- to four- passenger vehicle)
• Colorado Mountain Express charter service. CME charters vans and will take a group all the way to Leadville. They can accommodate 10 people per van without bikes, or five to seven with bikes for a charter price of $390/van (each way). They can arrange different pick-up times with enough advance notice.
Specialized is thrilled to be returning to the Leadville Camp of Champions! To make your time at altitude a little easier, we are offering a range of demo bikes so you don't have to travel with your bike. Test ride the race-proven Epic, or try the completely redesigned S-Work sCamber. Bike pickup will be from 12 p.m. - 6 p.m. on the first day of the camps, June 29 and July 3.
Choose your weekend and register to Test the Best:
Questions? Please contact Andrew Tierney at Andrew.Tierney@specialized.com.
From the very beginning, volunteers have made the Blueprint for Athletes Camp of Champions possible. We truly appreciate all that our great volunteers do to make our races run smoothly and to make the racers' experience unforgettable.
If you are going to be in town for the Camp of Champions, we would love for you to join the family and pitch in. Thanks in advance for your help — we couldn't do it without you!
Click the register button in the box below to learn more!
A full bag of swag will be included with registration.
Leadville Policy Agreement: Please understand that the Blueprint for Athletes Leadville Race Series does not allow refunds or transfers for camp entries and registration fees.
If you wish to defer your LT100 entry to the 2017 Leadville race season please understand that your entry will roll over only 1 year, however the LT100 registration fee will not. If you choose to defer your entry you must re-pay the LT100 registration fee in full. If you choose to defer just your camp entry, it will be a $50 fee.
All deferments must be confirmed by Abby Long, email@example.com, at least one week prior to the race.